Tuesday, January 13, 2015

What Agent Carter does right and what Gotham doesn't

Last week, Agent Carter started its seven week run. And let me tell you it started it of strong. The two hour premiere did everything it was meant to do and more. Thing was, after I watched this, I decided to catch up on Gotham, as I was two episodes behind. And I realized how similar and how different these to shows are.

I could go on about these but I think that would just become a mess. How about I tell you my opinions on both shows separately. Let's start with Carter.

Agent Carter

I liked, no loved, the premiere. Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter is amazing. She is a tool that the Marvel universe has and that they are not afraid to use. Too bad she is stuck in the  1940s because I would love to see her hang out with Black Widow. Oh, well. I do like the era, though. Carter feels right at home there. It is a show that is stylized just the right amount.

The plot was focus on one thing: getting the job done. Yes, small subplots were there, but they do not interfere with what was important. And it used some cool tricks to do this. How they used the radio show in the second episode was brilliant. It also was the characters in a great way. How they use the why the other spies see Peggy is perfect. It says, "Sure, it's the 1946 and there is sexism, but we are going to use it to our advantage." How the spies constantly underestimate Peggy is both entertaining and a great plot device.

But the best part is the characters. I could go on and on about Peggy, but I think you got the point. So, how about Jarvis? He is the anti-Alfred. He doesn't know what he is doing and really is just a butler. But he is great. His interactions with Peggy are interesting for both characters. Then there is Thompson and Dooley. Two spies that are the manliest and most sexist. The way they act is the way you would think most 1940s cops would. And they own it. Sousa is a sweet guy that I am still getting a handle on.

Truth be told, I really don't have any real problems with the show.

Gotham

This is a show I really wanted to like. And I understand that shows like this can take a while to get their footing. That is why I an still watching. But at the moment, it I have a lot of problems with it. Starting with their tendency to jam in every reference to who every villain eventually becomes. Every time Edward Nygma come on screen, it seems like he has to state a riddle. Or maybe my problem is that there is too many villains. I mean, what was the point of having Poison Ivy in the show? Or making it extremely obvious about who Harvey Dent will become? The only villain I like is Selina Kyle, a.k.a Catwoman. I also like the Penguin have of the time. Truth be told, it kind of feels like, because they don't have Batman, they feel the need to cram the show with every name character they can.

And that hurts the show. A show that is supposed to be about Jim Gordon. But you spend a third of your time with a gangster plot that doesn't seem to matter and another third on a young Bruce Wayne that is kind of boring. That only leaves you with a third on Gordon. Add in the case of the week and you have very little time to spend on actual plot. And did I mention that I didn't like Bruce Wayne? I did good. Because the only time I liked him was when he is hanging out with Selina. And for a character that you spend so much time on.

Another thing is it doesn't have a time period. It feels like a show out of time. But not in the good way. The show feels like it would fit in the 1950s or 60s. But they have cellphones and other things that bring you out of that. I just doesn't feel right.


I think my point is, Agent Carter is what I want Gotham to be . It is a show that Gotham could be. And maybe the third episode of Carter can be terrible. I doubt that, but it could still happen. One thing is for sure. If Carter is any indication on Daredevil and the other Netflix shows, we are in for a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment